Sunday, January 16, 2011

Week 3 Challenge - Memories

Week 3 of our themed photo challenge was "memories".

This was my pic for the week:

Here is my memory:

Growing up I wanted to learn to play the piano more then anything.  My Grandpa was an attorney.  He was the kind of man that didn't turn people away if they were unable to pay and would take items as payment for service.  He came home with all kinds of crazy things.  Some that I remember are rings (that we never knew if they were real), books, musical instruments, and a ping pong table.  One day he came home with a beat up old piano.  The thing had been painted many times and had broken keys.  Immediately I put tape on each key that had each note written in magic marker.  I played chopsticks so many times that I thought my mom was going to remove the piano from our house! 
After a few years of lessons on the broken piano, I came home from school to this beautiful brand new piano in my living room with a BIG red bow on it.  I had two pictures of that day.  One is the one shown in the picture and the other was a picture of the piano standing there with the big red bow and note.  Unfortunately, I can't find the other picture so I don't remember what the note said, but I still love the look of bliss on my face in the picture above. 
I will never forget walking in and seeing this piano waiting for me.  Even if I didn't have a pic of myself with it that day, I would still remember the joy.  I still can't believe that my Mom and Grandma did that for me.  Over the years it has survived several moves, lapses of not being tuned, and damage from water and ill temperature while being stored.
The piano now features marker on the wood which I didn't notice until I was setting up the shot (thanks Lucas and Parker).   My hope is that they will develop my love of music and want to play as well.  For now, they are making their own memories by banging on they keys and smiling at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment